There is a lot of press surrounding CBD and Cannabis at the moment and the current theme is shops and restaurants being raided and shut down.
One of the most recent closures was the restaurant Canna Kitchen in Brighton, shut down by the police, despite the owners liaising with the Police and the Foods Standards Agency (FSA) about legalities.
What did they do wrong and as a consumer how can you ensure what you are buying is legal so that you are not wasting your money?
CBD flower or bud
Firstly, there was an issue with the restaurant selling CBD flower. In the UK it is currently illegal to sell hemp flower/bud and has been since legislation from the 1960s. This is confusing as CBD oils and vapes are now legal to sell but not the flower/buds. So if there are outlets that are selling the flower/bud and saying that because it comes from hemp and is low in THC that it is legal, they are wrong and are unfortunately contravening the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.
CBD for pets
Secondly, they were selling CBD products for pets. There is lots of information on the internet about CBD for pets and there are a number of companies selling pet products in the UK. The Veterinary Medicines Directorate has recognised that Cannabidiol is beneficial for animals but these benefits make it ‘medicinal by function’.
The crucial part of it being medicinal is that to sell it in the UK you would need a special license, and to administer it to your pet you would need a prescription. This means you would need to get it from your Vets. Unfortunately, the businesses being raided are not licensed to sell pet products and therefore are feeling the force of the law.
CBD oil from isolate
CBD isolate is a pure, crystalline powder that contains 99% pure CBD.
All the plant matter contained in the hemp plant, including oils, waxes, chlorophyll, and more are removed. What is left is a pure white powder which is undetectable in terms of flavour, smell, and colour.
CBD oil made from mixing an isolate in oil (olive, hemp or MCT) that is to be ingested is currently illegal.
What should you look out for when buying CBD
Here is a list of things to check:
- Make sure they are members of an organisation such as the Cannabis Trades Association or CannaPro – to become a member company’s products, labels, website and lab reports get vetted, which means you, as a customer, can be safe in the knowledge that you are buying what they say you are buying
- Make sure the CBD is from a hemp extract not an isolate
- Check that the company has lab reports so that you can see what is in the product
- Don’t buy hemp flower or bud, it is still illegal in this country
- Ensure the label has the mg amount of CBD contained in the bottle rather than a % so you know how much CBD is in the bottle
- Ensure the label shows how much CBD you would get in a single serving so you know how much CBD you are taking each time
George & Mae CBD oils
George & Mae work hard to ensure that you are getting the best quality oils and we work hard to remain compliant in our industry.
- Our oils come from Phytocannabinoid-Rich hemp plants and are broad spectrum as we have all the goodies from the plant but have removed the THC.
- We have clear labelling and you will know how much CBD you are getting per serving.
- Our lab reports are available on our website.
- We are members of the Cannabis Trades Association.